Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Samantha Kuberski, Six year old, youngest suicide victim in Oregon State History!

Last week I was driving down the road listen to the news, when the newest story of a six year old killed herself in her family’s home. The radio didn’t really give me all the information I wanted to hear so I went home and researched it on the internet. The radio station I was listening too (Fox News) didn’t have the information on the news so I went to a different site.

The title of this article is called “Samantha Kuberski, Six Year Old, Youngest Suicide Victim in Oregon State History.” The article talks about how this six year old was a happy kid who did well in school. The whole reason as to why this little girl decided to kill herself is because her and her mother got into a fight. So the six year old went into a bedroom where a crib that had no mattress or box spring, tied a corduroy belt around her neck and onto the crib’s top railing.

After, the police investigated the case they found no signs that the child was abused. The medical examiner ruled it’s a suicide, but detectives insist on calling it an accident, saying that a child that small could have no idea of the consequences of her actions, an argument backed up by adolescent psychiatrists Dr. Kirk Wolfe.

As I read through this article I was and still am heartbroken. How could a six year old do this? Plus how does a kid learn the mechanics to do this? They have so much to live for at such a young age and this is not the time to think about death. They should be playing and living happily, just because they get into a fight with their parents shouldn’t mean anything. Maybe some children shouldn’t be left alone for long periods of times it gives them more of a chance to do something harmful to themselves.

“Not until they are eight to ten years old that they do understand that death is final and you don’t come back” by Yamhill Valley News-Register.

http://blogs.seattleweekly.com/dailyweekly/2010/04/samantha_kuberski_six-years-ol.php

4 comments:

  1. I don’t believe that anyone who commits suicide really understands that they are not coming back, at any age. I think it is more of an impulse to try to get away from your troubles temporarily, but it ends up being permanent. I say that because I recently lost my brother for that very reason. He was 22 years old; I believe that he would have never left the way he did if he knew he was never coming back. He was always someone that just did stuff and never really looked at the consequences, it was just an impulse. I, my family or his friends were distraught because we never saw it coming. My brother always seemed happy, he was always laughing, telling jokes, hanging out with friends and one night just decided to take his life. I don’t think he really thought through the consequences of his actions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow I was absolutely shocked when I read your post. My first thought about half way through the first two sentences was exactly what you said next: how would a six year old even know how do accomplish this? That is one of the saddest things I have ever read and it almost feels like someone should be held accountable. But who? The parents (whom it sounds like weren't neglectful or abusive) the schools, but at what age should we teach suicice prevention? That is just so sad but what can we do as society to not allow such a tragedy to never happen again?

    ReplyDelete
  3. As I read your post, I kept thinking, "No way, how could a 6 year old commit suicide!" I am shocked with this tragedy. I wouldn't think a 6 year old would know what death was, little alone commit suicide. I can only imagine how the parents are feeling, so much guilt I am sure. I know with me being a new mom, it absolutely terrifies me that a 6 year old did this! Who do we blame??

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a truly sad story. I recently did a blog on T.V. and sex, but I feel the argument could also be made here. The scenario explained about the crib and belt reminds me a lot of an NCIS episode, but you can also see it in a lot of others. In this particular episode, if I remember right, a man is being treated in a mental institution because he was wrongfully convicted. IN n the end though he stands his bed upright and uses his sheets to take his life. I know my brother watched the show when he was 10, so I don’t see it being that unlikely a child seeing this action.

    ReplyDelete